Time to Refocus on Communications, Together

We all know that communication with co-workers, staff and loved ones is important. But did you know that only 7% of the impact comes from what you are actually saying (verbal)? The other whopping 93% comes from non-verbal cues such as eye contact and other body movements. Now add in 2020’s massive shift to virtual meetings, long periods of unexpected remote work and nearly daily health and social crises boiling up around us. 2020 has been a tough year to be an effective and unbiased communicator but it is never too late to refocus.


First, let’s take a deep breath. Ah, that’s a little better.


Next, as an appointed leader or thought-leader in your organization, I encourage you to take a good look at how you have been communicating. Have you been focused on the non-verbal parts of your behavior? Have you been checking-in with your explicit and implicit bias before sending out that email or starting that virtual meeting? If not, let’s start now, together.


Here at Mays & Associates, we recently launched the M&A Culture Building Institute. This institute is designed to provide tools for individuals wanting to build more effective and more inclusive communications. I hope you can join us on January 27, 2021 from noon - 1 p.m. for our next session “Implicit Bias and Difficult Conversations”. This session will be focused on understanding implicit bias and providing tools for conducting difficult conversations more effectively.


Click here to learn more and register for this session. 20% of proceeds from this session will be donated to Mom’s House, an organization helping women and their children.


I know we are all very busy but there’s no time like the present to invest a little time in your most important tool as a leader.

11 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All

© 2009-2020 Mays & Associates, LTD. All Rights Reserved.

  • Facebook
  • Twitter